Monday, March 25, 2013

I hate it when My children grumble.


It is good idea to take inventory of the things that occupy our hearts and it is very good to cultivate a thankful heart. Thankfulness isn't something that comes easy, especially when it is not around Thanksgiving, we have to remind ourselves to BE thankful. These thoughts have been provoked by 7 little words that I read in my devotional early this morning, "I hate it when My children grumble."
Ouch.
Think about that for a moment. I pictured God's face the best way my small mind could understand and the image pierced my heart. That one sentence made a shift in my heart and caused me to take a deep hard look into what all I have in it. I decided I would make a list of the things I grumble about. In other words, what do I complain about?
Can I be honest with you-I fought with my list. (And you probably will too.) I argued with each one about its legitimacy. I had a reason by golly, to complain about each one especially the ones that were out of my control. Though there may have some truth to that, I challenge you with the same little excerise the Lord had me do and I know you'll feel  Him helping you begin to culitvate a thankful heart.

So I made my list. I fought with it for some time then decided to let the Lord step in and show me what I needed to be shown. I went back over my grumbling list and made myself find things in each situation something, anything to be thankful for.

Ex: The complaint: I am blue in the face about respondsibility and getting homework turned in on time, but I can't get x, y & z students to listen. Finding something to be thankful for: At least I have a job, period. And secondly, there really are those out there that are listening that are being impacted when they may not be learning how to be respondsible at home?

A shift of focus has to occur in order to keep a thankful heart and it is hard to keep complaining over something you've just thanked God for.We have to make thankfulness rule our hearts at all times and in all circumstances or else bitterness can creep in.

Before you ex off the page there is one other thing the Lord spoke to me about sharing and that is complaining about our children. Aside from Jesus coming to die for you and I, our children are Gods' most precious gift to us. I am strongly convicted in this area and I want to share with you what I think of when my patience is running thin with my own children. I think, "Ok Esther, God is your Dad, how would you feel in this situation if He reacted towards you the way  you want to react towards Adalie/Maddox?" Sounds a little weird talking to yourself that way, but it sure does help. I mentioned that shifting focus is a key component to cultivating a thankful heart, well in those weak moments when I do not get it right, I have to check my attitude and remind myself that Adalie & Maddox did not ask to be here and neither did your children. It is a different way in looking at it. My husband and I brought them here, we wanted them therefore it is our job as parents to seek God for wisdom in raising them in all seasons of their lives and asking for patience in helping them become who God created them to be. I know that raising children is tough, from what I know toddlers and what I have heard teenagers can be extremly challenging, but whatever season they are in, let's just be thankful. Remember this-many families can not have their own children. There are women who will never know what it feels like to birth their own baby or carry one in their womb. Another example I can think of is if you have a go-go-go toddler like mine that runs wild and you can't keep up just whisper to yourself, "I am thankful that he/she is healthy and able to run, jump and play."

So you see, there are many things to be thankful for when we dig. Make your list, check it twice, argue with it if you have to it's ok- as long as in the end thankfulness and gratitue ends on top, you've won the battle.

#Jesushelpustobethankfultodayandforever.

With love and prayer,
Esther

No comments:

Post a Comment