Monday, May 2, 2011

The Power of a Praying Parent

 Before I became a mother, I never really understood the seriousness of parental prayers. I remember so many times when I would come home to visit while I was in college and wasn't allowed to leave the house until my mom & dad (and even siblings if they were there) gathered around me to pray. They'd speak many wonderful things into my life. I can still remember the sound of my Daddy's voice as it grew louder and more passionate as he pleaded the Lord to go with me, that where I stepped foot I'd be on safe grounds, that angels would camp around me at all tmes, that I'd be a blessing to others, that I'd be successful in what He had called me to do etc... I believe it is safe to say that it is because of my Mom & Dads consistent intercessory prayers that I have recieved blessings, protection, favor, grace, and many other things I'm sure I'll never know about.

It is our full responsibility as Christians to mark the path for our children to follow... and it all starts with prayer. I do not know everything, and I won't pretend to, but what I have learned  is that we should first pray daily that we may be good examples for our children, pray that we may reflect His word accurately in our actions, and pray that we may have the wisdom to equip our children so as they grow & encounter many challenges in this evil world, they will have His word engraved in their hearts, minds and ready on their lips.

I am so passionate about this because I have seen the impact a praying parent has made. Here is my top 10 things I pray in efforts to bless my children.
1. Pray for a hedge of protection everywhere they go.
2. Pray for overall health all the days of their life.
3. Pray for obedience, not just to their father & I, but obedience to the things of the Lord as well.
4. Pray for Godly friendships.
5. Pray for their future husband/wife.
6. Pray for their careers, that whatever the Lord may rise them up to do, that they may do it for His honor & glory.
7. Pray that they may be Children of Faith. Never doubt the Lord is in control.
8. Pray that they may be a blessing to others and shine a light for Christ in this dark & gloomy world.
9. Pray that they always stay humble, God fearing & know Gods love for them.
10. Pray that they may always find comfort in the Holy Spirit when they stumble.

My parents taught me this, and now I have the privledge to teach my own....I just wonder what they may add to their list when they have theirs : ) We are our childrens first teacher.

With love & prayer,
Est

2 comments:

  1. Est..this is amazing. As I pray with my girls every night they are home and I also have the privilege to pray with Matt and his children. In those few moments we are carving a path for them. Your words speak volumes to me.

    ReplyDelete