Monday, June 21, 2010

Idolatry-the blind sin

I was reading my bible in Ephesians earlier and I came across this verse.
"For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an
 idolater—has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Ephesians 5:5

At first I didn't think anything of it, I've read Ephesians chapter 5 a million times, but for
some reason today it was different...
the Lord kept bringing up Idolatry, so I asked what is it Lord? What do you want me to get
out of this? I found out that He wanted to teach me to be careful, to show other's how to
be careful and show them how to be wise.
"Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise" Ephesians 5:15
He lead my eyes to re-read,
 "For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person
such a man is an idolater—has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God."

I began to break down the verse
Notice how the beginning starts off with for of this you can.be.sure. Meaning,
There is no grey area in this or room to say, "this is how I
interrpret it", because it is crystal clear.
I looked up the definition of Idolatry... And this is what it means

Idolatry--Blind or excessive devotion to something!!
When I learned the 10 commandments as a
 little girl I always thought when it said "have no other gods before me" it was referring to
worshipping budda for example. But clearly it has a much bigger significance and I feel it's
 urgent to get this message across because people can blinded to the things they worship
the "gods" they have in their lives. example: money, fame, music, earthly materials etc.

Listen--The things people worship don't have to be mounted somewhere, be a statue etc
but the very things we blindly and excessively devote our hearts to are causing people
to miss out on heaven! Maybe you're not blind, maybe you're fully aware of the things
you put above the Lord, but my eyes have never been as opened as they were during
my devotional this morning---Funny enough that's exactly what Satan wants: to
keep us blind, deaf & mute.
I choose to speak this truth, because my vision has been corrected to see.

The things we place first our life,  the things that are far more important than God,
the things we're addicted to, it's those things that can be our idols. It's those things
that are keeping people outside of heaven's gates. Today, I examined myself, as
I do daily... but it was much more in depth.
I thought of my entire day, from the time I wake until the time I my head hits the pillow
how much of my day is really consumed of the Lord? How much of my day do I use
to witness for the kingdom? How much time do I spend reading scripture vs. my hobbies?
What conversations am I engaged in? What thoughts consume my mind?
To piggy back on all this I thought this verse was appropriate.
Matthew 6:21 says, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also"

So, I want you to think about something...
Where are your treasures? your idols
...so does God have all your heart?


In Him,
Est

No comments:

Post a Comment