Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bad company & constant knocking of sin at our door

Forgive me in advance, but in this blog it’ll be more like a vent session than anything else.. I have been so heavy hearted about something…


I am surrounded by many types of people on a daily basis…. And at times it can be challenging to continue to set yourself apart from staining personalities (I’ll explain), but it’s imperative that we do. Recently, I saw just how easy an unbeliever or maybe a “not as mature believer” can stain/influence a churched person aka believer..

I’ve been very observant of a very familiar routine. Without saying too much, I’ll give a brief example of a real life situation. I frequently over hear vulgar or unpleasant conversations. They go in one ear and out the other, but a few days ago I actually witnessed a conversation between a couple folks that made me feel down right uncomfortable. It was distasteful, full of gossip and just something I want no part of. One of the two people involved usually kept a good reign on their tongue, so I figured they would pull out of the conversation like usual, but surprisingly they didn’t. As a matter of fact, it was the complete opposite. They joined right in and began stirring up more slander, more useless words, and more fire. Being honest, I was upset maybe because I had higher standards for that particular person, but I was more upset to see a believer stained by a constant knocking of sin…

You see there are many sins that knock at our doors day in and out, and ultimately it is up to us whether we allow that door to be opened. When our door is being consistently knocked on with that same sin/aka influences of certain people, we usually do one of two things: continue and ignore the bang or let that sin right in. I’m a visual person and in my mind that’s how I view it.

I was driving home one day after a stop at wal mart and God showed me something  interesting through caramel apples. I was craving caramel apples so I was excited to eat one. You know they come in single packs or a package of 3. I of course got the package of 3 : ) I’m preggo I can’t help it. Anyways, I opened the package and began eating one. After about 3 bites I noticed a weird substance growing on the caramel. After spitting that out, I looked to see if the other two had the “growing substance” on them, and in fact the one I had started eating first, definitely had spread its disease. Because of the closeness to the rotten apple, there was a spreading of infection. Neither of the other two apples were removed in time, so they too were no good. At that moment I realized what God was showing me. When we surround ourselves with people that we know carry a particular disease and we KNOW through the test of time they don’t have a relationship with Christ, but we continue being that close they can begin to influence us, stain us with just a little of their disease, and ultimately fully infect us if we’re not removed on time. That is exactly why the bible is so clear to say in 1 Corinthians 15:33 “Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character." And that is exactly what’s going on in many people’s lives that I know personally…and that just breaks my heart.

To either “be nice” or “not feel superior” to people they blend themselves right in, but the truth is you don’t have to be mean, you don’t have to act like your better, but you must separate yourself from darkness, for we know the light and the dark don’t mix plain and simple, approach it with great wisdom. It took me many years to learn how to separate myself, I was once a fool of blending right in because I wanted acceptance. Then I learned whose acceptance mattered…and when I realized the entrance to heaven wasn’t given to me by being cool or fitting in, but by following God, things changed pretty quick.

“But Est, I’m not going to the party to get drunk, I’m just going to ‘hang out’ it’s boring on Saturday nights” Ok, but just know you will be stained. Take a coal for example, when it’s on fire it is HOT and if you touch it you get burned, but when that coal settles if you touch it you may not get burned, but what happens? Ever touched a dry coal, it stains your hand. It marks you with its color. You may not get burned but it marks you as one of them. Think of the people you consider friends. Should they be your friends? Should you go to the places they go? Should you support their lifestyle? Shouldn’t we be “that” friend that is saying “I know I’m not perfect, but I also know this continious lifestyle isn’t pleasing to God according to His word” and pulling them the opposite direction? That’s a real friend. Knowing that what this world has to offer is temporary, but what really matters is what takes place after this life and sharing that with your friends or acquaintances. What I am NOT saying is to cut people off and not extend an invite the other direction, but what I AM saying is cut off their influences, cut off their consistant knocking at your door…

Sis, bro, whoever is reading this--Keep your door slammed shut, locked and bolted when you’re around outside influences,

never touch fire,

and much less a settled coal for we know its purpose is to stain what Christ has already washed.

No comments:

Post a Comment