Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shouldn't we treat everyday like Valentines?

1 Corinthians 4-7

I want to take you back to Valentines Day 2009 when my husband
sent me on the most romantic scavengar hunt that consisted of: a
massage at the spa, whined & dined at a local Italian resturant,
then arrived at a beautiful hotel and picture this-- I opened the
door to a candle lit room, rose pedals leading to a bubble bath,
jazz music playing in the background and a gorgeous man staring at
me as I entered the room. ::Wow, looking back it was great and I
enjoy nice things, but goodness that was expensive lol::

This Valentines 2010 was the complete opposite--{a lot has changed
in a year I've simplified myself so much} It was spontaneous,
unplanned, and I think it is safe to say evena little
disorganized
{but all together made me laugh and was a really good time}
Now when I really really really,
think about it--the day made my heart smile just for the simple
fact that I have been mentally spared from being wrapped up in a superficial & overly expensive holiday.

In many eyes Valentines is a day of expressing your love, but
this Valentines I've changed my views in that everyday should be
like the 14th of February. As I sat in Church Sunday morning
(Valentines Morning) I realized so much more about love. True love. ::Sorry- just because a man
buys a woman a dozen roses and a box of chocolates that
does not prove he loves her:: Love is SO
much more than a box of chocolates on a traditional holiday. I
actually caught myself wondering if last year when Stephen out
did himself was it because it TRULY came from his heart or because
it was the proverbial thing to do? And when he surprised me did I
TRULY cry out of emotion and because I was suppose to or because
I saw how much he went through to do this for me? I realized that
our human love is so conditional and what's really gotten me to
wake up from this conditional love is knowing that there
is nothing we could have ever done or anything we
could ever do to move God...
to make Him love us anymore than He already does. His love-- it
isn't just showered and poured out on just one holiday like
Valentines, but He shows it 365 days a year. You see
our love is suppose to be unconditonal like the Lord's. He is
our greatest example and even calls us to love our own enemies!
What a challenge! He calls us to love all, and to love
deeply :not caring about skin color, race, or background.
How difficult can that be right?

Back to my Church story-Pastor Rowe taught me something valuable,
this past Sunday. He talked about how on days like Valentines we
go out of our way to express our love, but how everyday should be
treated like Valentines. He also made a point to say we should
treat more than just our spouses, family, friends with love-
I really liked that.

On the other hand-I get it, I do it's just a day
set apart to do something nice for your significant other because
people are busy, we work, we have kids, we have ball games, piano
lessons, church etc we can't always go "all out" & that point blank
is my issue. That love isn't based on gifts or romantic dates, but
all together the smallest, biggest, littlest, most insignificant
things you do for the person you love--to me that truly shows your
love for them.
EX:
I didn't wake up to breakfast in bed...
{but I wake up everyday to a man that adores me more and more each
day}
I didn't recieve a dozen pink roses... *my fave*
{but I wake up to the most amazing kisses before he heads off
to work}
I didn't recieve diamonds or pearls....
{but I have a man that shows me respect, works hard for his family
and is always faithful}

Lastly, I didn't recieve a long love letter.
{but I have a man that doesn't have to write what is on his heart.
He shows me in his everyday.}

So in the end--I am so thankful for a quiet Valentines this year.
I am thankful to even say what I have everyday.
God-You have shown your love for me in giving me Stephen, I
just know it.

But For the record, I am not anti-Valentines lol-I'm a woman,
I enjoy getting surprises every now and then of course!
I just realized the importance of shadowing God's love to all everyday and I really
do not need materials to be shown I am loved.
Love isn't a conditional thing, and I guess I've just now changed
that.

No comments:

Post a Comment