Thursday, December 2, 2010

Interesting, Ears--They do more than hear

Have you ever been so caught up in life that you inadvertently get off track on your regular devotion routine, regular prayer schedule or time spent with the Lord? That definitely happened to me these last couple weeks. Preparing for my trip back home had me so excited I couldn’t think about anything, but packing and planning. I said my prayers and read as much as I could, but I hadn’t been as dedicated as I usually am. Anyway, while I was home from about 6 am to 11 pm my day was scheduled and I was go go go-- with that being said it left me little time to get any one on one with God. No excuses totally my fault.


The Monday after my week long vacation came and I woke up extremely dizzy. I had never experienced such dizziness in a very long time if even ever; I showered, ate breakfast, drank water, and took my time getting dressed but nothing I was still dizzy. I worked through an 8 hour shift and nothing. Later on that afternoon I was on my way home from work I decided to get back to my usual routine of tuning into my Christian music radio station to hear some of God’s word and kind of unwind from the day. I have a bit of a drive from work to my home so I was able to hear a good testimony and a few great songs that really pulled at my heart strings…but then something interesting happened..I noticed I started to become less dizzy with every lyric I heard, with every word I sang, my dizziness grew more and more faint…then right there smack in the middle of my drive and in the middle of my worship I felt like the Lord visually showed me picture. It was a picture of an ear.

Yes, you read it right an ear. You know how when you look at something for a while then close your eyes you can kind of still see it? Well, that is kind of what it was like.

I didn’t understand why I had a picture of an ear in my mind until later when I was lead to research what an ears function is. #1- Ears do more than hear. They keep you balanced. According to my research in the inner ear, there are three small loops above the cochlea called semicircular canals. Like the cochlea, they are also filled with liquid and have thousands of microscopic hairs.

When you move your head; the liquid in the semicircular canals moves, too. The liquid moves the tiny hairs, which send a nerve message to your brain about the position of your head. In less than a second, your brain sends messages to the right muscles so that you keep your balance.

Sometimes the liquid in your semicircular canals keeps moving after you've stopped moving. To understand this better, think of filling a cup halfway with water. Now when you move the cup around in a circle in front of you and then stop you’ll notice how the water keeps swishing around, even after the cup is still. That's what happens in your semicircular canals when you spin in circles or go on a ride at an amusement park.

When you stop spinning or step off a ride, the fluid in your semicircular canals is still moving. The hairs inside the canals are sensing movement even though you're standing still. That's why you can become dizzy, become unbalanced. Once the fluid in your ear stops moving, your brain gets the right message and you regain your balance….so what was God telling me?

I figured out that He used my physical dizziness to show me just how spiritually dizzy and spiritually unbalanced I was…I was so busy going in circles from here to there and everywhere, that I had an unbalanced agenda. I was completely off my schedule of devotionals, prayer time, bible studying and because I did not stop in my tracks to hear from Him… I got dizzy in my spiritual world ha, amazing. Now that I’ve let my world settle and opened my ears back up to hear from Him, I realize the significance of why God showed me just a picture--He didn’t speak, He didn’t correct me right then, He simply placed a picture of an ear in my mind and now I understand what He wanted me to know…

He wanted me to know that our ears, even though they are such a small piece of our bodies, they can really make a difference in how we feel. My 2 weeks off preparing for vacation and being on vacation you would think, such a small amount of time away from Him in comparison to the time I’ve been devoted, but it makes all the difference in how I feel…God wants us committed everyday, no breaks even when on vacation : ) and I’m ok with that because otherwise my world is hectic and so unbalanced. I never would have thought that I would be learning a spiritual lesson on ears, but they were really meant to do more than just hear…they are what keeps us balanced physically and more important spiritually. Always keep your ears open to hearing God’s word in anyway you can because I first hand know it's what brings balance to our lives..what’s funny is I’ll never look at Romans 10:17 the same…

“So faith balance comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ”

I get it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment